Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Le Havre (last blog for a while)

 

13 July


Had an absolutely lovely day today in Honfleur. Because we've been to Paris before and it was a three hour drive each way we opted to go by local bus to Honfleur which is a trendy little seaside village, much visited by Parisians at weekends. Cobbled streets, old, old buildings, pretty harbour. Seven of us went. Taxi from the ship to the bus station was 2 Euros each and return bus fare to Honfleur was 7 Euros each. Honfleur has buildings dating from the `1200s and is picture postcard at every turn. Had a very French lunch – I had chicken in red wine with potatoes and vegetables which sounds very ordinary but they were like nothing I've ever tasted. Delicious. Dessert was 'Cheeses of Normandie'. Also some of the best cheese I've ever tasted. I think it was probably the best day I've had ashore so far. I got to use my limited French and people were happy to chat with me. The lady who sold us the bus tickets was amused, and very helpful (in French) and I think she engineered us the best deal because we only had 3 tickets which had multiple trips on them. She said it was the cheapest and it worked. This will be my last blog for a while. I may do some sort of summary when I get home, as I've had a few requests, but we aren't home until the end of July. We still have London, Leeds, New York and LA to go. All I can say it is one of the best holidays I've ever had. There've been some minor irritations with the ship but you have to expect that anywhere you travel. Overall A+.




Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gail and John.... thankyou thankyou thankyou for sharing your holiday with us and all your wonderful information and help. We hope that the next leg of you holiday is just as wonderful as the first....

    Garry and Joanne ( Packetau )

    ReplyDelete